Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Freedom of speech, freedom to cuss?


(Pictured is our female kitten "Angel")
Yes, she is speaking, and I find her words to be offensive!





Freedom of speech
What follows is what usually comes to my mind when I hear these words.
Freedom to say what we want,
freedom to share what we feel,
freedom to express ourselves.




Along with freedom of speech is freedom to THINK!
Before something explodes out of our mouths we should think about it.


We are all guilty of foot in mouth syndrome.
No one is perfect.

When speaking verbally, it is easier to make these mistakes,
because there is less reaction time.
Sadly the sage advice of
think before you speak
seems to have been forgotten
(This itself is a topic for another day).


I am on several social networking sites, and have seen a trend that I find disturbing. Some of the posts are truly vulgar! The reason I find this disturbing, is one's brain is utilized more for typing out thoughts, rather than when they just fall out of one's mouth. When typing we have control over our fingers and what ends up on the screen. We even have time to read and edit what we are saying. Whether we are online (PC or mobile) this includes texting, we have the time to think. I know some very well educated people, who have a wealth of knowledge to share, but once they add a vulgar word to their post, many just pass it by. Would you take your doctor seriously if he used cuss words in a conversation about your health?
It's not professional.
What needs to be shared is the information.
There is no need to act like a child who thinks it's "cool" to cuss.



I know I am not the only one bothered by this.
I have seen people comment on posts asking people
to clean up there language.
Don't worry, if you are an offender of foul fingers,
I won't be reporting you.
It is your freedom to speak how you choose,
but I will de-friend you if make it a continual habit.
While you have the right to say what you want and how to say it,
I have the right to not listen or read it.
This is not an issue that needs government intervention,
instead it is an issue of moral conduct.



I am going to end this with some discussion questions.

  1. Does it bother you to see cuss words in someones post?
  2. If you saw a lot of cussing posted on someones profile page, would you friend or follow them?
  3. Have you de-friended anyone because of their crude language?
  4. Do you use cuss words in your posts? And if so why?
  5. When scanning posts, do you pass on reading the ones that have a cuss word standing out?

I look forward to your comments and thoughts.

Please feel free to share this link with your friends!


FYI: No cussing allowed :)



-Mrs. C.



No comments:

Post a Comment